Subject: Re: A Style Guide Question
From: [email-masked] (Peter Cherna)
Date: 17 Nov 92 16:31:21 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Meyer) writes:
>4.) Add menu items Done and Cancel that are identical to the buttons,
>	and have the shortcuts be Amiga-D and Amiga-C.

This is not a good idea.  First of all, Amiga-C is the _standard_ key
equivalent for "copy to clipboard".  Let's try not to abuse those
standards that have appeared in at least some number of apps.

Second, the fact that menu keys are processed while string gadgets
are active is effectively a "bug" in Intuition 1.3 and earlier.  2.0
and higher Intuition cannot readily support this.  (Note that I called
it a bug.  I'm not saying that the bug produces undesirable behavior).

There needs to be some modeless way to strike the key-equivalent for
a gadget even while a string gadget is active.  There isn't a good
universal way right now.

The Amiga Style Guide addresses this problem by recommending that
<ENTER> in a string gadget deactivate the string gadget but not close
the window or take any other drastic action.  The idea is that <ENTER>
followed by "D" or "C" would have the desired effect.

Any better solution requires additional support from the OS.

>	<mike

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, User Interface Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    [email-masked]
My opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employer.
"I believe it's bad luck to be superstitious."